I studied Scientific & Medical illustration at Southampton Faculty of Art & Design and Southampton University. I graduated with distinction in 1981. Since then I have worked full time as a medical artist, and latterly, also as a medical photographer and artist for the NHS in London. The training I received on the Scientific & Medical Illustration course concentrated on anatomical and surgical illustration with further study and examinations taken in design, scientific and technical illustration, human illustration and photography. Since my first appointment, running the Medical Illustration Unit at the Nuffield Department of Surgery in Headington Oxford, I have gained skills in using digital technologies producing, Adobe Illustrator vector drawings, Photoshop clinical photography and associated digital applications.
My experience in orthopaedics, colorectal, gastrointestinal surgery and cardiovascular medicine has given me a broad range of experience in medical research illustration. For many years I worked for the Medical Research Council producing illustrations of scientific and medical equipment innovation and design. This wide ranging work experience has given me the ability to create accurate and clear illustrations in the medical research field. Recently I have focused on illustrating books and journals for the Oxford University Press Medical Publications Unit. I have a general interest in surgery and have produced a number of detailed illustrations and artworks of new ideas in medical science.
- Southampton Faculty of Art & Design (now Solent University) Scientific & Medical Illustration Faculty of Art & Design Associate (Distinction)
- Dip AD Scientific & Medical Illustration (Distinction)
- Post Graduate Diploma – Interactive Multimedia (Westminster University, Harrow Campus)
- Dip SCD (Society of Chartered Designers Diploma Category D2)
- MAA (Medical Artists’ Association of Great Britain)
- AHCS (Academy of Healthcare Science)